Sunday, July 20, 2008

Greetings from England! Day 29

So tired. Session 1 is over. Let Session 2 begin.

I finished my paper [which was due on thursday at 4pm] at 2:30 am that day. Thank goodness I am done with that class because I don't know how I could handle any more philosophy. I AM DONE WITH PHILOSOPHY!

Friday:

Tiffanie and I went to Winchester. We missed our first train, but our tickets were open-ended so we just took the next train. Winchester is very nice. It's how I imagined smaller English cities to be...it felt like we stepped into a book. There were not very many tourists so Tiffanie and I were able to just walk around and explore. We went to Wolvesey Castle...it's not really a castle anymore...it's more like a castle ruin. The guide book says its a Norman castle ruin. That was really fun! No one was really there so Tiffanie and I were just running around the castle!
best part of the trip....

VISIT TO JANE AUSTEN'S HOUSE!!!!!! We took the bus to Chawton, a village outside of Winchester, where Jane Austen lived her last years. She rewrote Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility here. She also wrote the last of her books here. It's not a very big house. She lived there with her mother, sister and her brother and his family. It reminds me of the Collins' house in Pride and Prejudice. I can imagine Mr. Collins working in the garden while Charlotte stays inside the drawing room. I bought 2 books: Tea with Jane Austen and Being Elizabeth Bennett Create Your Own Jane Austen Novel [it's like a create your own adventure books but involving all of Jane Austen's books]

Saturday:

Jeany, Carolyn, Ruhi, Margaret, Tiffanie, Emily, and I all went to Bath. LONGEST TRAIN RIDE EVER! ok...not really, but it did take about 3 hours. I slept most of the way...but there were girls behind us that were very loud at 9 AM. We went to see the Roman Baths. It was pretty cool. The water in the baths was green...kinda gross. I liked how the museum gave us giant cellphone looking things that was part of the audio tour so you could listen to a tour guide without having to crowd around a tour guide. Apparently, the hot springs have curative properties. In the 17th century it became fashionable to drink water from the springs. The Pump Room opened and drinking the spa water is now kinda like a thing to try when you go to the Roman Baths.
It was gross. It was pretty much drinking warm mineral water [and yes, the do filter the water].

We headed over to Sally Lunn's for Tea. It's the oldest house in Bath. Sally Lunn was a baker in Bath and made really good buns and bread. IT IS THE BEST BUN I HAVE EVER HAD! The bun is HUGE [it's as big as my face]. Anyway, I had the Jane Austen Cream Tea [Jane Austen lived in Bath for a while--she hated it, but her last 2 books involved being in Bath]. It was half a bun with raspberry jam and clotted cream and a pot of tea. The bun was so soft, and perfectly toasted...the jam was just right, not too sweet, not to tart.
Charles Dickens also visited Sally Lunn's.

Sunday:

We went to London. We went to the Covent Garden market. It sold a lot of crafts stuff. I thought it would be more like a market market--with fresh fruits and veggies, food, arts and crafts--that sort of thing.

We split up and Ruhi, Margaret, Jeany and I went to the Tower of London. That was really fun! The tower is just a tower. It used to be a town in the middle ages, which became a prison and fort. Narrow, stone, spiral steps in towers are great exercise! [and can make you feel very claustrophobic] We also got to see the torture devices they used on their prisoners--like manacles, the rack, scavenger's daughter and something used for quartering and drawing.

The Crown Jewels. I..yea...WOW.

We got to take a picture with one of the Queen's Guards...he was off duty and was just walking around when Ruhi asked if we can have a picture with him. He was kinda cute....hahaha

I need to do laundy. Very tired.

No comments: