Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Scotland

I spend last week-end in Scotland...it was really pretty and green in Scotland even if it was raining.
Carolyn, Emily, Margaret, Ruhi, Tiffanie and I all booked our Scotland trip with Discovery Tours. It was great because transportation and accommodations was already taken care of and we didnt have to plan the rest of our day.
The deal with Discovery Tours is that they drive you around the city showing you places of interest and then letting you have free time in the city to explore, etc.
We stayed Glasgow so we didnt get to experience Edinburgh nightlife. Our accommodations were the dorms at the University of Glasgow...it's very nice and cozy and clean!

Edinburgh:
I loved Edinburgh..especially because the Edinburgh festival was going on, so there was a lot of people and there was a lot to see and do! It was very lively. I definitely want to come back during the festival so I can watch the shows at night.

We went to the Edinburgh Castle...it reminded me of the Tower of London but since the castle is at the highest point of Edinburgh, there were great views of the city below. I mean, the castle was built there for strategical purposes. We saw the Scottish Crown Jewels...they're OK, but they are the oldest crown jewels in England so I guess it was worth seeing.
I really their Prisons of War exhibit...it was really cool how they used the senses to let you "experience" how prisoners lived in the castle.

The place we ate at had free samples of haggis [it is a traditional Scottish dish made of : sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock]. I tried it out of curiosity because I've heard about it from travel shows that I watch. So anyway, it had a mushy consistency, but it didnt taste bad...it tasted very peppery.

Glasgow:
After Edinburgh, we went out to the pubs in Glasgow with our tour guide, Rich. He's real cool. He's 22 and is a music major at Uni. of Sussex. Anyway, the first pub we went to, Ruhi, Carolyn, Tiffanie and I got free drinks. Some guy bought us all 1/2 a pint of Strongbow [cider]. I love free drinks. We went to a different pub looking for karaoke...but the one we found was WEIRD. All the people in the pub was at least over 35. We moved to the pub next door coz it seemed a little more our age-group...dont i sound age-ist? hahaha

That pub was fun because they had a DJ playing music and people dancing.
I have always been curious of SOURZ...they have cool bottles and pretty colors, so I tried 2 of their flavors: cherry and apple.

I had an apple and lemonade[sprite]...YUUUM! Tasted like apple soda. It had a nice tinge of apple green. Cherry and diet coke tastes like a sherley temple [but with alcohol! hahaha but you can't taste the alcohol].

After our day driving around the Highlands, we decided to buy drinks and just have drinking games at the kitchen of the dorms. We just bought bottles of strongbow and played flip cup and kings cup with Rich and a few other guys who go to summer school with us. Fun times! It was my first time playing flip cup and learned that I am not that bad! YAY!
We didnt have a deck of cards, so we just cut up paper and made our deck for kings cup. Fun times!

Highlands:
That tour pretty much consisted of driving around the highlands of Scotland and showing us the landscape...the lochs[lake], beins[mountains], etc. It was really really pretty. It was raining, but it was still really pretty. There was a lot of sheep and cows. We actually got to go see a highland bull...they are CUUTTEEE!!!

No comments: