Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Berlin Day 15

August 18, 2012 11:22 PM

Decided to stay in Berlin today because I needed to get things off my museum list. Got 3 off my list today. That's pretty productive I'd say.

First was the Hamburger Bahnhof. It was a former train station but was converted into a museum of contemporary and modern art. So many Andy Warhols!!!! I was sooooo excited! And a some Roy Lichtenstein, yay! Some exhibits were weird...like this one with life-like dolls. Creepy. Buuuuut, there were also awesome exhibitions by architectonika and archigram!

Next was the Berlinische Galerie, which is pretty much their version of MOMA. Lots of weird art hahaha! But the architecture is cool. And they also had models and architecture drawings from some of the buildings/proposed buildings in Berlin. I was upset that they didn't have the model for the Jewish Museum...oh well, I'm going there.

The last one of the day was the Egyptian Museum of the Neues Museum. It's pretty cool...it's the museum that has Nefertiti's bust. It's a cool building. It was heavily destroyed in the war and was neglected by the GDR. It was restored/reconstructed by David Chipperfield. It's a cool reconstruction because you can tell which is old and which is new...you can even see the scars of the building; bullet holes and shrapnel holes are left exposed and they didn't repaint the interior---they just left it faded, which kept with that old and new.

I have acquired several books, which tends to happen when I travel. And I still have a few weeks to go. This is going to be a problem.

No comments: