Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lake Como

9:21 AM July 24, 2011 on the train from the airport going back to Rome

Left Milan this morning.

So yesterday Chelsea and I took a daytrip to Lake Como. It's an hour north of Milan by train. Very, very pretty and picturesque. Now I see why George Clooney has a house here (also, I believe I saw his house).

I didn't want to pay for a boat tour so Chelsea took the slow ferry going to Bellagio (it's a real place people, not just a Vegas hotel). Anyway, so Lake Como is a y-shaped lake at the base of the Italian Alps. Little towns are spread apart and dot the shoreline and the surrounding mountains. Like I said, very pretty.

Bellagio is a quaint little town with lots of fancy hotels on the shore and going up a hill. Cobblestone streets and little shops everywhere. I'm guessing Lake Como is famous for it's silk because there are silk shops EVERYWHERE and they are not cheap (€30 was the cheapest I saw).

It started to rain...not just rain, pour, on the way back to Como (the town). It didn't let up either. Once we were back on land, Chelsea and I booked it across the street to buy an umbrella.

The rain was very cold. I was wearing a maxi dress and Chelsea was wearing shorts. Thank goodness that there are sales everywhere and we found a store with reasonably priced clothes. I got a denim jacket and Chelsea got pants. Ate some soup and we were warm again :) Yay for emergency shopping!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: