Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rome: Day 5

12:33 AM July 14, 2011

Sorry I didn't get to post yesterday, internet was down in the entire building the entire day :/ We currently have internet but is only available in the common area and it's super weak. I've got 2 bars on my wi-fi.

I'm slightly confused, my last post was Day 4, so this should be Day 6 but I counted and I've only been here for 5 days.

Yesterday's theme for the class was "Cultural Periphery." We visited the northern part of Rome where we visited famous modern structures: Nervi's Palazzetto dello Sport (little basketball stadium), Renzo Piano's Parco della Musica and Zaha Hadid's MAXXI museum. Later on that night, we went back to the MAXXI to watch an architecture presentation [though we weren't really paying attention because it was in Italian].

Had a GREAT time at a local bar next to the MAXXI--just some hole-in-the-wall that is frequented by locals. We met 2 older gentlemen at the bar while drinking Bush beer...strong shit! 10.8% alcohol level...but is a really good beer. Had fun with the puns on George Bush with the locals. Had 2 and I was gone! Good times :]

Today class theme was based on the southern part of the city that is called EUR (Universal Exhibition in Rome) which was started by the Fascist period with Mussolini and ended around the 1970s. I guess the theme was how to re-image Rome (especially after WWII) in which old Roman symbols of power was reclaimed and rebranded into a different meaning.

Housing news: we are going to be moved to the top floor, I guess. I just hope that that is better than this.

No comments: